Ringworm is a type of skin infection, which is caused by a fungus. Fungi thrive in warm, moist areas, such as locker rooms and swimming pools, and in skin folds. The fungi may be present without any symptoms.
Exposed to Ringworm How To Prevent?
Prevention of ringworm is easier than its treatment. Here are a few points of advice to prevent ringworm:
- Avoid sharing clothing, sports equipment, towels, or sheets.
- Wash clothes in hot water with fungicidal soap after suspected exposure to ringworm.
- Avoid walking barefoot, wear appropriate protective shoes like flip-flops to the beach and in locker rooms.
- Do not touch your face in case of facial ringworm
- After being exposed to places where the potential of being infected is high, one should wash with an antibacterial or antifungal soap, or one that contains Tea Tree Oil, which contains terpinen-4-ol. It is responsible for the antimicrobial activity, and has been noted for the successful treatment of fungal infections.
How to prevent ringworm after contact?
So, if you have already caught ringworm, do not waste time in getting yourself treated. This way you can contribute towards preventing ringworm from spreading. Also,
• Cover your infected skin
• Keep it dry and clean
Check, if your pet has ringworm. If yes, then take him to a vet immediately.
How long is ringworm contagious?
There are different types of ringworm and it remains contagious as long as there are lesions on the body and they are active. From the point a person catches the infection to the time it appears on the body, he is infected but doesn't harm others. This implies that the infection is not contagious but has a great potential of spreading to others once it appears on the body. Unfortunately this time phase of being contagious can vary from a few days to years depending on how quickly it is treated and with the correct medication. According to the doctors, there is no need to isolate children, the fungi is no more contagious after 24 to 48 hours.
Hygiene plays a key role in restricting ringworm infection. One needs to be extra cautious around the infected people, doing so minimizes the chances of the infection spreading.
Ringworm Treatment Soap
Though it sounds overrated but the right kind of ringworm soaps can ensure that the infection leaves your body without causing much distress. Defense soap for ringworm, containing a full 2% of essential oils, is the best antifungal soap for ringworm. Not only this, there is Defense shower gel with coconut oil infused is an antifungal body wash for ringworm and other fungal infection, and you can get that right here.